Young Farmers Club
FARMING: Food Production and Sustainability
Description: The Young Farmers Club is a series of lessons centered around the Top Foods that kids eat (as stated by NHANES 2005-2006; **see “Top 25 Sources of Calories Among Americans Ages 2 Years and Older, NHANES 2005–2006”). Students will learn the ingredients of these commonly eaten foods and more importantly how these ingredients are farmed and their sustainability. This unit is flexible and teachers can choose which lessons best meet their students’ needs. Furthermore, there are social studies and science connections, so teachers could teach some of these lessons during another science/social studies unit. Learning Targets:
- Students will understand the plant and animal based sources of the Top 25 Foods.
- Students will understand plant cycles of fruits and vegetables.
- Students will be able to describe how plants store food.
- Students will understand the biology and life cycle of farm animals.
- Students will be explain an ecosystem and food web.
- Students will be able to describe how technology is used in agriculture.
- Students will be able to discuss the importance of farmers in our food web.
Top Foods List** :